Below are my upcoming presentations.
TOP 10 LEGAL MISTAKES THAT CAN DESTROY YOUR BUSINESS…AND HOW TO AVOID THEM
Wednesday, February 27th / 6:00-7:30pm / AWEEC (Phoenix) / FREE [Register]
When business owners are attempting to grow their companies, legal issues are often put on the back burner. The natural focus is on hiring talented employees, securing customers and generating revenue.
Unfortunately, failing to do some basic legal planning can result in costly mistakes, impaired growth and even the untimely collapse of the company.
Topics for this complimentary seminar will include (among others):
- Protecting your corporate shield and your personal assets
- Why you must have a shareholders or “buy/sell” agreement
- How to raise capital…legally
- Protecting your valuable intellectual property
- Managing key employee issues
- Reducing the risk of litigation
EMERGING BUSINESS SEMINAR – How To Structure Supply/Manufacturing Agreements
Wednesday, March 6th / 7:30-9:30am / SkySong (Scottsdale & McDowell) / FREE [Register]
In today’s market, product-based companies are increasingly looking to outsource the production of their products. Rather than building costly manufacturing plants and dealing with the related operational challenges, businesses are turning to both domestic and foreign specialty product manufacturers.
While that approach preserves capital and outsources the daily headaches associated with the production process, it is not without risk. A business is literally placing its future in the hands of its chosen manufacturing partner. To ensure a good outcome, a well-structured manufacturing agreement is critical.
Topics for this complimentary seminar will include:
- Basic manufacturing terms
- Pricing and protection against price increase
- Ways to ensure products are manufactured in accordance with specifications and delivered
- Term and termination
- Volume and capacity issues
- Warranties, quality control and recalls
- Intellectual property ownership
HOW TO INVEST IN PRIVATE COMPANIES
Tuesday, March 12th / 8:00-9:30am / Vantage (Desert Ridge) / FREE [Register]
During the early stages of a private company’s lifecycle, the necessary capital comes from “angel investors” who are willing to bear high risk for potentially high rewards. During the Great Recession, many potential angels sat on the sidelines. With the U.S. economy coming back to life, however, those angels are looking to re-engage. This class presents topics including: risks and rewards of private company investments; locating investment opportunities; analyzing prospective deals; negotiating favorable investment terms; protecting your investment; and the investor’s role post-closing.
HOW TO NEGOTIATE AND PREPARE CONTRACTS
Tuesday, March 26th / 6:00-7:30pm / AWEEC (Phoenix) / FREE [Register]
Contracts are a daily part of every business owner’s life. When economic times were good, many owners ignored contractual formalities and some even abandoned written agreements altogether. During the days of abundant (and seemingly unending) profits, “handshake deals” often became the norm.
In the current market, however, proliferating disputes and costly litigation have laid bare the perils of doing business without a well-drafted contract. So, how can companies best protect their interests through the contract negotiation and preparation process?
Topics for this seminar will include:
- Challenges of doing business in today’s market
- Best practices in contract negotiation
- Capturing agreed upon business terms in the contract
- Ensuring today’s deal remains tomorrow’s deal
- Key areas of exposure and ways to limit liability
- Ways to resolve disputes and help avoid them
- Why “miscellaneous” provisions matter
HOW TO RAISE CAPITAL…LEGALLY
Tuesday, April 9th / 8:00-9:30am / Vantage (Desert Ridge) / FREE [Register]
To start or expand a business, you need capital. Raising capital, however, is one of the most difficult challenges that a company can undertake. In the current economy, investors at all levels have become increasingly risk adverse, resulting in even greater competition for their limited investment dollars. And heightened regulatory scrutiny by the SEC means that compliance with securities laws has never been more important. Learn what an entrepreneur or business owner must do to successfully navigate the process.
Topics for this seminar will include:
- Determining a company’s capital requirements
- Identifying those who can satisfy those requirements
- Defining the terms of the equity offering
- Understanding what it means to have investors
- Complying with federal and state securities laws
- How the JOBS Act will change the rules of the game with crowdfunding
- Strategies for increasing a company’s chance of success