Below are my upcoming presentations.
Greater Phoenix SCORE – AVOID THE TOP 10 LEGAL MISTAKES THAT CAN DESTROY YOUR BUSINESS
March 17th | 3-5 pm | VIRTUAL [Click Here to Register]
When a business owner is attempting to grow his company, legal issues are often put on the back burner. The natural focus is on hiring talented employees, securing customers and generating revenue.
Unfortunately, failing to do some basic legal planning can result in costly mistakes, impaired growth, and even the untimely collapse of the company.
Topics for this webinar will include, among others:
- Protecting your corporate shield and your personal assets
- Why you must have a shareholders or “buy/sell” agreement
- Raising capital…legally
- Protecting your valuable intellectual property
- Managing key employee issues
- Reducing the risk of litigation
Vantage – HOW TO RAISE CAPITAL…LEGALLY
April 6th | 8-9:30 am | VIRTUAL [Click Here to Register]
To start or expand a business, you need capital. Raising capital, however, is one of the most difficult challenges that a company can undertake. In the current economy, investors at all levels have become increasingly risk averse, resulting in even greater competition for their limited investment dollars. And heightened regulatory scrutiny by the SEC means that compliance with securities laws has never been more important.
So, what must an entrepreneur or business owner do to successfully navigate the process?
Topics for this seminar will include:
- Determining a company’s capital requirements
- Identifying those who can satisfy those requirements
- Defining the terms of the equity offering
- Understanding what it means to have investors
- Complying with federal and state securities laws
- Avoiding common pitfalls
- Strategies for increasing a company’s chance of success
Emerging Business Seminar – HOW TO PURCHASE A BUSINESS
April 7th | 8-9:30 am | VIRTUAL [Click Here To Register]
|You always wanted to run, but not start, your own business. Or perhaps you have an existing business, but are looking to accelerate your growth with a strategic acquisition. How do you go about identifying and evaluating quality acquisition targets? What should your initial offer contain? How do you negotiate and then document the transaction both to protect your business interests and to reduce legal liability? What can you do to increase your chances of closing the deal? |
Snell & Wilmer L.L.P. invites you to the next program in the Emerging Business Seminar Series, where partner Brian J. Burt will discuss purchasing a business.
Topics for this complimentary seminar will include:
* Defining your personal objectives
* Identifying acquisition targets
* Performing due diligence
* Selecting the transaction structure
* Understanding key tax considerations
* Negotiating the deal
* Drafting the transaction documents
* Creating and working with your deal team
Greater Phoenix SCORE – HOW TO STRUCTURE CONSULTING RELATIONSHIPS
April 7th | 3-5 pm | VIRTUAL [Click Here to Register]
In these uncertain economic times, companies are looking for ways to cut expenses and conserve cash. One increasingly popular way to do so is to outsource work to independent contractors instead of hiring additional employees.
Structured properly, these consulting relationships can add tremendous value to your business. Structured improperly, these relationships can bring about disastrous results.
Topics for this webinar include:
- Structuring and drafting the consulting agreement
- The business deal
- Representations and warranties
- Authority to act for your company
- Ownership of intellectual property
- Non-competition and non-solicitation covenants
Greater Phoenix SCORE – HOW TO MOTIVATE AND INCENTIVIZE EMPLOYEES
April 21st | 3-5 pm | VIRTUAL [Click Here to Register]
It’s not easy being an employee these days. The COVID-era has brought layoffs, salary cuts, and benefit reductions to virtually every industry. Even those who have not been personally affected must contend with an uncertain economic future, and the fear and stress that such uncertainty breeds. Little wonder that employee morale is at an all-time low.
Business owners may know that low employee morale translates into deteriorating productivity and, ultimately, reduced revenue. But what can today’s cash-strapped owner do to re-energize his or her team while protecting the company’s long-term value? And how can those businesses looking to hire attract and motivate new talent?
Topics for this webinar include:
- Cost-effective ways to improve life at the office
- Benefits that improve quality of life
- Creating job security with employment agreements
- Use of performance and liquidity bonuses
- Giving employees “ownership” without giving up equity
- Making employees owners – stock options and grants
- Ownership without the tax bill – the LLC profits interest
- Dispute resolution
Vantage – HOW TO INVEST IN PRIVATE COMPANIES
May 4th | 8-9:30 am | VIRTUAL [Click Here to Register]
During the early stages of a private company’s lifecycle, the necessary capital comes from “angel investors” who are willing to bear high risk for potentially high rewards. During the Great Recession, many potential angels sat on the sidelines. With the U.S. economy starting to show signs of life, however, those angels are looking to re-engage. This class presents topics including risks and rewards of private company investments; locating investment opportunities; analyzing prospective deals; negotiating favorable investment terms; protecting your investment, and the investor’s role post-closing.