Below are my upcoming presentations.
EMERGING BUSINESS SEMINAR – How To Prepare Your Business for 2019
Wednesday, January 2nd / 7:30-9:30am / SkySong (Scottsdale & McDowell) / FREE [Register]
Notwithstanding the ongoing political drama in Washington, D.C. and across the country, 2018 has been a good year for the U.S. economy! The stock market hit new highs, unemployment dipped to historic lows, and economic optimism recorded some of the highest levels in decades.
With the return of a divided Federal government as a result of the November elections, business owners are asking – “what changes will the new year bring?”
Snell & Wilmer invites you to the next program in the Emerging Business Seminar Series, where partners Brian J. Burt, Damon Ashcraft, Bill Kastin, and Kelly Wilkins will offer insight on new laws and proposed legislation that may significantly impact businesses and their owners in 2019.
Topics for this complimentary seminar include:
- An overview of ongoing tax developments.
- Patent strategies to best protect your inventions in the new year.
- Navigating the new California Consumer Privacy Act – expansive data protection regulations that apply well beyond California’s border.
- Maximizing brand recognition and creating strong trademark rights in 2019.
- Crowdfunding – where are we five years after the passage of the JOBS Act?
HOW TO INVEST IN PRIVATE COMPANIES
Tuesday, January 8th / 8:00-9:30am / Vantage (Desert Ridge) / FREE [Register]
During the early stages of a private company’s lifecycle, the necessary capital comes from “angel investors” who are willing to bear high risk for potentially high rewards. During the Great Recession, many potential angels sat on the sidelines. With the U.S. economy coming back to life, however, those angels are looking to re-engage. This class presents topics including: risks and rewards of private company investments; locating investment opportunities; analyzing prospective deals; negotiating favorable investment terms; protecting your investment; and the investor’s role post-closing.
HOW TO RAISE CAPITAL…LEGALLY
Tuesday, February 11th / 8:00-9:30am / Vantage (Desert Ridge) / FREE [Register]
To start or expand a business, you need capital. Raising capital, however, is one of the most difficult challenges that a company can undertake. In the current economy, investors at all levels have become increasingly risk adverse, resulting in even greater competition for their limited investment dollars. And heightened regulatory scrutiny by the SEC means that compliance with securities laws has never been more important. Learn what an entrepreneur or business owner must do to successfully navigate the process.
Topics for this seminar will include:
- Determining a company’s capital requirements
- Identifying those who can satisfy those requirements
- Defining the terms of the equity offering
- Understanding what it means to have investors
- Complying with federal and state securities laws
- How the JOBS Act will change the rules of the game with crowdfunding
- Strategies for increasing a company’s chance of success