Below are my upcoming presentations. (Until the book is finished, these will be my legal/ business programs.)
TOP 10 LEGAL MISTAKES THAT CAN DESTROY A BUSINESS
Wednesday, January 24th / 5:30-7:30pm / Tempe Public Library [Register]
When business owners are attempting to grow their companies, legal issues are often put on the back burner. The natural focus is on hiring talented employees, securing customers and generating revenue.
Unfortunately, failing to do some basic legal planning can result in costly mistakes, impaired growth and even the untimely collapse of the company.
Topics for this seminar will include (among others):
- Protecting your corporate shield and your personal assets
- Why you must have a shareholders or “buy/sell” agreement
- How to raise capital…legally
- Protecting your valuable intellectual property
- Managing key employee issues
- Reducing the risk of litigation
EMERGING BUSINESS SEMINAR – How To Prepare Your Company For Sale
Wednesday, February 7th / 7:30-9:30am / SkySong (Scottsdale & McDowell) / FREE [Register]
You always wanted to start your own company. One day you decided to make it happen. Years (and many personal sacrifices) later you have transformed your original idea into a successful business. A significant part of your net worth is now tied to the business and to extract that value, you conclude that the company must eventually be sold.
The obvious questions then follow. What can be done to maximize the company’s value at the time of sale? What can be done to prepare the business for the sale itself? And when should those preparations begin?
Topics for this complimentary seminar will include:
- Preparing to sell your company before you start it
- Growing and protecting your company’s long-term value
- Increasing value by working yourself out of a job
- Understanding the buyer’s perspective on value
- Running the company as though it’s for sale everyday
HOW TO RAISE CAPITAL…LEGALLY
Tuesday, February 13th / 8:00-9:30am / Vantage (Desert Ridge) / FREE [Register]
To start or expand a business, you need capital. Raising capital, however, is one of the most difficult challenges that a company can undertake. In the current economy, investors at all levels have become increasingly risk adverse, resulting in even greater competition for their limited investment dollars. And heightened regulatory scrutiny by the SEC means that compliance with securities laws has never been more important. Learn what an entrepreneur or business owner must do to successfully navigate the process.
Topics for this seminar will include:
- Determining a company’s capital requirements
- Identifying those who can satisfy those requirements
- Defining the terms of the equity offering
- Understanding what it means to have investors
- Complying with federal and state securities laws
- How the JOBS Act will change the rules of the game with crowdfunding
- Strategies for increasing a company’s chance of success
HOW TO INVEST IN PRIVATE COMPANIES
Tuesday, March 13th / 8:00-9:30am / Vantage (Desert Ridge) / FREE [Register]
During the early stages of a private company’s lifecycle, the necessary capital comes from “angel investors” who are willing to bear high risk for potentially high rewards. During the Great Recession, many potential angels sat on the sidelines. With the U.S. economy starting to show signs of life, however, those angels are looking to re-engage. This class presents topics including: risks and rewards of private company investments; locating investment opportunities; analyzing prospective deals; negotiating favorable investment terms; protecting your investment; and the investor’s role post-closing.